Yields: 16 (3x3 in.) squares
6 c. whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. instant dry yeast
3 tsp. salt
2 c. cooked firm* brown rice, optional
2 1/2 c. lukewarm water
1 Tbsp. blackstrap molasses or soy sauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. oil
seeds or oats or wheat bran, for topping, optional
1. Mix flour, yeast, and salt. Add rice, water, molasses, sugar, and oil. Knead till smooth.
2. Roll out to 11 x 12 in. rectangle. Cut into squares. Dip each square's top in water and then in seeds. Place squares touching each other on floured baking sheet. OR. Roll out, place on floured baking sheet, cut into squares, brush with water, and sprinkle with seeds.
3. Let rise till doubled in size, 30 to 60 min.
4. Bake at 400° F for about 30 min.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature. Break squares apart to serve. Best within one day. Perfect for sandwiches.
* A soft or sticky rice will make the bread sticky. Make sure the rice is not overcooked but still firm.
Scripture of the Day
Lord, "You keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you."