This week, I am going to share with you three versions of one of my favorite dishes, plus the basic recipe, so you can make your own version. This dish is like turnovers, only the filling is wrapped in a soft, fluffy dough instead of a crispy crust. These hand pies are perfect for picnics, as they are easy to transport and can be eaten at room temperature. However, I prefer them while they are still hot out of the oven! Yum!
The basic recipe follows. You will make a bread dough and roll it out to a rectangle. Cut the rectangle into squares, put a large spoonful of filling in the center, and fold over one half to make a triangle. Close the pocket by pressing the edge with the tines of a fork. Transfer to a floured baking sheet or parchment paper, bake, and enjoy!
The following days, I am going to share three different fillings with you, namely Mom's Creamy Carrot Filling, Comforting Potato Filling, and, the best for last, Gooey Pb-and-Banana Filling.
Stay tuned, and let me know any fillings of your own that you make!
Basic Recipe for Soft Dinner Turnovers
3 c. (7 dl.) whole wheat flour
3 1/2 to 4 c. (8 to 9 1/2 dl.) wheat flour
1 c. (2 1/3 dl.) soy flour (such as Soy Supreme)
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. salt
4 tsp. dry yeast
6 Tbsp. oil
3 c. (7 dl.) lukewarm water
filling of choice (filling should be pre-cooked if needed)
1. Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and knead till smooth.
2. Divide dough into three equal parts. Roll each into a 12 x 16 rectangle. Cut into 12 squares, each 4 x 4 in.
3. Place a large spoonful of filling in the center of each square. Fold over one half of dough to make a triangle. Close pocket by pressing edges with the tines of a fork. There should be enough filling inside to fill the pocket, but not so much that the pocket cannot close. Adjust amount of filling accordingly.
4. Place on floured baking sheet or parchment paper and bake at 400° F for about 20 min. Broil till golden.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Scripture of the Day
"For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock."
Labels: bread, Main Dishes